- Closing Plenary Session Minutes 2006
- Report from the Civil Section
- Report from the Publications Committee
- Report of the Nominating Committee
- Comments from the Outgoing President
- Comments from the Incoming President
- Report from the Host Jurisdiction for the 2007 Annual Conference
- Other Business
- All Pages
Comments from the Outgoing President
The Chair commented that his remarks would be in the form of a resolution expressing appreciation. He then presented the following resolution:
RESOLVED that the Conference express its appreciation by way of letter from the Executive Director to:
1. The Province of Alberta as represented by the Honorable Ron Stevens Q.C.,
Minister of Justice and Attorney General which hosted the 88th annual meeting of the Conference.
2. The Alberta Law Reform Institute for is many contributions to the annual meeting.
3. The organizing committee of: Nolan Steed, Peter Lown, Carol Fowlie, Bart Rosborough, Peter Pagano, Clark Dalton, Sandra Lane and Betty Mac.
4. Kimberly Groome who volunteered to assist at the registration desk.
5. Those who assisted in setting up and operating the conference secretariat: Charlene Scharf, Jenny Koziar, Betty Mac, Ilze Hobin and Gregg Dearborn.
6. Printer World International Inc., and Toshiba Canada for their contributions to the successful operation of the conference secretariat.
7. The following law firms who generously supported the cost of our nutrition breaks: Bennett Jones LLP (Calgary), Burnet Duckworth & Palmer LLP (Calgary), Duncan & Craig LLP (Edmonton), Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP (Edmonton), Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP (Calgary), Macleod Dixon LLP (Calgary), Miller Thomson LLP (Edmonton).
8. The Law Society of Alberta and the Canadian Bar Association, Alberta Branch, for their generous contribution to the cost of the opening reception.
9. Our colleagues from the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, Howard J. Swibel and K. King Burnett and from the Mexican Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, Jorge Sanchez Cordero for their Participation in our annual Meeting.
10. Mark Cooper and David Dear of Alberta Justice, Communications, for assisting in the preparation of a conference news release.
11. Carol Fowlie for risking life limb and employment by umpiring the traditional East vs West softball game.
12. The Alberta Justice Civil Law softball team for providing the equipment for our traditional East vs West softball game.
13. The able and patient interpreters: Clair Caldwell, Dorothy Charbonneau, Marie-Eve Racette, Teresa Beauregard-Timms, Emmanuelle Dubois and Jean-Pierre Lessard.
14. Our proficient technicians, Craig Wesley and Jesse Day.
15. The Section Chairpersons whose leadership contributed to our efficient and successful discussions.
16. Richard Wong, General Manager, and staff at the Sutton Place Hotel for their superb service.
AND BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Conference expresses its appreciation to the Executive Director, Claudette Racette for ensuring that everything comes together for another successful annual meeting and who attended her first annual meeting 13 years ago in Edmonton.
The motion was seconded by John Twohig. Motion carried.
In closing Robin Finlayson commented that he wanted to express his appreciation to the incomparable Claudette Racette for all of her support, to his Executive for their assistance throughout the course of the year, and to the delegates for their hard work, cooperation and assistance.