Older Uniform Acts
- Uniform Vital Statistics Act (1987)
- Notice & Reporting of Birth
- Name of child
- Additional Evidence and Birth Registration
- Alteration or addition of given name by director
- Stillbirth Registration
- Change of Sex
- Adoption Registration
- Marriage Registration
- Annulment Registration
- Reporting of Death and Medical Certificate
- Form and certificate to division registrar
- Burial Permit
- Births and deaths at sea or on aircraft
- Church records
- Fraudulent or improper registrations and certificates
- Search of records
- Issue of certificates and copies
- Certificates issued by director
- Power to take affidavits
- Publication of statistical information
- Annual Report and Confidentiality
- Offences and Regulations
- All Pages
Alteration or addition of given name by director
9. (1) Except in a case to which section 10 applies, where the birth of a child has been registered and
(a) the given name under which the child was registered is changed, or
(b) the child was registered without a given name,
both parents, the surviving parent, the guardian of the child, the person procuring the name to be changed or given, or the child after attaining the age of majority, may apply to the director setting forth the particulars of the change or of the name given, accompanied by a statutory declaration completed by the applicant and
(c) a baptismal certificate, showing the given name under which the child was baptized, or
(d) if a baptismal certificate is not procurable, other documentary evidence satisfactory to the director,
and the director, on being satisfied that the application is made in good faith and on payment of the prescribed fee, shall record the change.
(2) No alteration of or addition to a given name shall be made under this section in any registration of a birth unless the name of the child was changed or the name was given to the child within. . . . years after the birth.
[NOTE: Some jurisdictions may wish to delete subsection (2).]
(3) Any birth certificate issued after the making of an alteration or addition pursuant to this section shall be prepared as if the registration had been made containing the changed or new given name.
(4) A person who has a certificate in respect of the registration of the birth of the child that was issued before the making of an alteration or addition pursuant to this section shall, if required by the director, deliver or mail the certificate to the director for cancellation.
Change of Name
10. (1) Where the name of a person is changed in (enacting jurisdiction) under the law of (enacting jurisdiction) as it existed before (date of coming into force of [Change of Name Act] or legislation establishing a statutory procedure for change of name) or under the (Change of Name Act), or is changed in another jurisdiction by or under a law of that jurisdiction, the director, on production of proof of the change and satisfactory evidence as to the identity of the person,
(a) if the birth or marriage of the person is registered in (enacting jurisdiction), shall record the change,
(b) if the change was made under the (Change of Name Act) and the person was born or married in Canada but outside (enacting jurisdiction), shall transmit to the officer in charge of the registration of births and marriages in the province or territory of Canada in which the person was born or married a copy of the proof of the change of name produced to the director, or
(c) if the change was made under the (Change of Name Act) and the person was born or married outside Canada, shall, if requested by the person whose name has been changed, transmit to the officer in charge of the registration of births and marriages in the jurisdiction in which the person was born or married, a copy of the proof of the change of name produced to the director.
(2) Every birth or marriage certificate issued after recording a change under this section shall be issued as if the registration had been made in the name as changed.