Older Uniform Acts
- Uniform Vital Statistics Act (1987)
- Notice & Reporting of Birth
- Name of child
- Additional Evidence and Birth Registration
- Alteration or addition of given name by director
- Stillbirth Registration
- Change of Sex
- Adoption Registration
- Marriage Registration
- Annulment Registration
- Reporting of Death and Medical Certificate
- Form and certificate to division registrar
- Burial Permit
- Births and deaths at sea or on aircraft
- Church records
- Fraudulent or improper registrations and certificates
- Search of records
- Issue of certificates and copies
- Certificates issued by director
- Power to take affidavits
- Publication of statistical information
- Annual Report and Confidentiality
- Offences and Regulations
- All Pages
13. (1) On receipt of a certified copy of an order of adoption transmitted under the (Adoption Act,) the director shall register the adoption.
(2) Where, at the time of the registration of the adoption or at any time afterward, there is in the office of the director a registration of the birth of the person adopted, the director, on production of satisfactory evidence of the identity of the person, shall
(a) withdraw the original registration from the registration files, and
(b) substitute a registration of birth in accordance with the facts contained in the order of adoption.
(3) Where a person is adopted pursuant to an order, judgment or decree of adoption made by a court in another jurisdiction, the director,
(a) on receipt of a certified copy of the order, judgment or decree, and
(b) on production of satisfactory evidence of the identity of the person, shall, if at the time of the registration of the adoption or at any time afterward, there is in the directors office a registration of the birth of that person, register the adoption and substitute the registration of adoption in the manner referred to in subsection (2).
(4) there a person born outside (enacting jurisdiction) is adopted pursuant to the (Adoption Act), the director shall transmit a certified copy of the order of adoption to the person having charge of the registration of births in the jurisdiction in which the person was born.
[NOTE: In a jurisdiction that does not have a provision in its Adoption Act or in similar legislation requiring that a certified copy of every adoption order be forwarded to the director by the court, an additional subsection so requiring should be inserted as subsection (1) and the present subsection (1) should be amended by striking out "in accordance with the Adoption Act".]
Special register of adoptions
14. (1) The director shall maintain a special register in which shall be kept
(a) the original registrations of birth withdrawn from the registration files pursuant to section 13, and
(b) the copies of all orders, judgments and decrees received by the director for the purposes of section 13, other than the copy required for the purposes of section 13 (4).
(2) The special register and any entry, information or documents contained in it shall not be made public or disclosed to any person except on the order of the (.......................(court).
[NOTE: This section may be unnecessary if the Adoption Act covers the same ground.]
Birth certificate after adoption
15.If achild born in (enacting jurisdiction) is adopted pursuant to the laws of (enacting jurisdiction) or of another jurisdiction and a registration of adoption has been made pursuant to section 13, any certificate of birth of that child subsequently issued by the director
(a) shall be in accordance with the registration of the adoption, and
(b) in any case where parentage is shown, shall indicate the legal parents in accordance with the (Adoption Act),
and nothing shall appear on any certificate issued by the director that would disclose that the child is an adopted child.